Volleyball loses to Texas Tech in five sets

0
30
The Kansas State women's volleyball team play Iowa State at Ahearn Field House in Manhattan, Kan. on Oct. 25, 2017. (File photo by Sabrina Cline | Collegian Media Group)

The Kansas State volleyball team fell 3-2 on Saturday to the Texas Tech Red Raiders in Lubbock, Texas.

The Wildcats were ahead of their opponents in nearly every category, but they ultimately couldn’t win the match against Texas Tech. The two teams went to five sets for the second time this season.

The loss ended a seven-match winning streak against Texas Tech for the Wildcats.

The first set was controlled by the Wildcats until Texas Tech bounced back to take a 16-15 lead. The Red Raiders were able to close out the set, 25-18.

K-State struck back with a vengeance to take the second set, leading by as many as 10 points. The Wildcats had four blocks and forced Texas Tech into nine hitting errors for a 25-17 set win.

The third set was also a good one for the Wildcats — they never trailed in score and won the set 25-17 for a 2-1 lead in the match.

Texas Tech fired back and narrowly took a must-win set four, 25-23. The Red Raiders had a 14-4 lead early on this set, but K-State fought back to even things out.

In the decisive fifth set, the Red Raiders took an 8-3 lead, but the Wildcats didn’t go home easy. K-State battled back and tied it 12-12 before ultimately losing 15-12 in set five, and thus losing 3-2 in the match.

The Wildcats are now 9-14 overall and 2-8 in Big 12 conference play, while the Red Raiders’ record improved to 14-9 overall and 3-7 in Big 12 conference play.

For K-State, senior opposite Bryna Vogel provided 12 kills and had a career high 29 digs for the Wildcats. Vogel now has 30 double-doubles in her four years at K-State.

Junior outside hitter Kylee Zumach also finished with 12 kills, while freshman outside hitter Brynn Carlson had 11 kills and freshman middle blocker Peyton Williams had 10 kills.

The Wildcats hit .179 as a team in the loss, and the Red Raiders hit .100. The Wildcats had 60 kills and Texas Tech finished with 52.

K-State will face a tough challenge up next as they face the University of Texas on Wednesday inside Ahearn Field House at 8 p.m. The match will be broadcast nationally on ESPNU.