Men’s basketball holds third exhibition match against Emporia State

0
87
Kansas State #5 Barry Brown passes the ball to #32 Dean Wade during the men's basketball game between Fort Hays State University and Kansas State University at Bramlage Coliseum on October 29, 2017. (Photo by Cooper Kinley | K-State Athletics)

The Kansas State men’s basketball team will host its third and final exhibition match against Emporia State in Bramlage Coliseum tonight at 8 p.m.

K-State historically leads the series against Emporia State 3-0. The last meeting between the Wildcats and the Hornets was on Oct. 30, 2015, with the Wildcats taking the win in a dominating 80-42 performance.

Tonight’s match will be the third exhibition match for the men’s basketball team this season. They previously had exhibition wins over Missouri State on Oct. 21, 78-62, and Fort Hays State on Oct. 29, 79-56.

So far in their exhibition games, the Wildcats are averaging 78.5 points per game on 50.4 percent shooting, but are looking to improve their 39.4 percent shooting from 3-point range.

The junior guard duo of Kamau Stokes and Barry Brown Jr. are averaging 13 points per game, while redshirt freshman guard Cartier Diarra, sophomore forward Xavier Sneed and junior forward Dean Wade are also finding themselves averaging in double-digit point totals through the last two exhibition games.

In the win over Fort Hays State, Sneed paced the Wildcats with a game-high score of 18 points and a team-high of seven rebounds. Other double-digit scorers were Wade with 15 points, Brown with 14 points and Diarra with 11 points.

“Based off that and thinking of Kamau [Stokes], you have a pretty good group of five,” head coach Bruce Weber said to K-State Sports. “Then the only question now is what is the rest and how can they help us.”

Weber is focusing on letting the newcomers learn and fill their prospective roles this exhibition season, as it is also their best opportunity to get experience and playing time.

“We just have to get some other guys to figure out what they’re good at, what’s their role, how they can help us,” Weber said to K-State Sports. “And if they do that, I think we’ll have a very, very good team.”

The men’s basketball team will begin to face Division I foes in their regular season after tonight’s game, with the first being against American University on Nov. 10.

The matchup against Emporia State is also part of a doubleheader, with the women’s basketball team taking on Emporia State at 5:30 p.m. before the men tip off at 8 p.m.