Alpha Kappa Psi hosts annual Scrabble Run

0
37

Co-ed business fraternity Alpha Kappa Psi held its annual Scrabble Run in Aggieville on Saturday to honor former fraternity member Rebecca Trible, who died in a car accident in 2007.

Haley Meyers, Alpha Kappa Psi member and sophomore in marketing, said the Scrabble Run is similar to the normal board game, only larger in scale.

By paying five dollars, players could participate in the Scrabble Run, collecting letters from booths set up in Aggieville in front of businesses sponsoring the event.

Players went from booth to booth, randomly picking a tile from a bucket. After picking up five letters, players assembled their words. The highest scoring word won an Apple Watch. Others won gift cards to various business in Manhattan. Participants could also donate without playing.

“I really like that it’s different from a lot of the other fundraisers I’ve seen on campus, just with how it’s set up and that it wasn’t exclusive to students,” Jana Zeeb, freshman in marketing, said.

The money raised by the event is matched by Trible’s family to fund a scholarship for members of Alpha Kappa Psi. To win this scholarship, members submit an essay written on a topic that changes annually. The money is split between the recipients throughout the fraternity.

“This is a good way to have [Trible] be remembered, and it allows new members to realize we aren’t just an organization — we actually do care about our current members and our alumni,” Jake Warnken, sophomore in finance, said.

The event was organized by members of this year’s pledge class as part of their initiation, Meyers said. This put more focus on the fundraiser than in previous years, resulting in a better outcome.

“It’s fun to play a standard board game while also showing your support to a family that lost someone,” Meyers said. “Although they’ve lost their daughter, they’re still willing to give back to the club their daughter was in, and to me that’s really special. It’s bittersweet to have something so sad happen to such a kindhearted family, but it is also nice to know that there are families out there who can go through a tragedy and still try to make the best of it.”

The winner of the Scrabble Run has not been announced yet, but the winner will soon be chosen by Alpha Kappa Psi members and Trible’s family.