Baseball plays first of three games in intrasquad Fall World Series

0
28

The Kansas State baseball team hosted the first game of its annual Fall World Series on Saturday afternoon, where K-State Purple won against K-State Black by a score of 9-4.

In this intrasquad game, starting sophomore right-handed pitcher Kasey Ford earned the win. Ford threw for four innings, allowing Team Black to score just two runs on five hits, striking out five batters without giving up a walk. Team Purple ended the day with no errors.

The offense came out firing on all cylinders for Team Purple, with five runs in the first inning, three in the second, and one to cap off the scoring in the fourth, with nine runs scored on 12 hits. Eight of the nine starters in this lineup had at least one hit and six different players scored a run.

Junior catcher TK McWhertor had a perfect day at the plate, going three for three, scoring two runs and driving in three baserunners. In the number two spot, senior second baseman Jake Biller went 2-4 with two runs scored and an RBI. Senior first baseman Trent McMaster had two hits, scored a run and drove in two.

Team Black scored two runs in the first two innings off of starting sophomore right-handed pitcher Kasey Ford. Two more runs came off of sophomore reliever Caleb Littlejim in the sixth inning. Littlejim gave up three hits and struck out one. Sophomore lefty Will Brennan pitched in the closer role while giving up one hit and striking out one.

The offense for Team Black collected nine hits over the course of the game from six starters. Junior third baseman Rainer Ausmus went 3-3 at the plate and drove in a run. Freshman designated hitter Jordan Maxson contributed two hits and scored a run, while freshman first baseman John Sorensen collected a hit while scoring a run and recording an RBI.

Junior Gabe Littlejim started for Team Black, pitching three innings and giving up 11 hits. Littlejim was charged with all nine runs while giving up a walk and striking out one.

Sophomore Luke Hauswirth came on in relief of Gabe and pitched three innings to finish the day. Hauswirth gave up a hit and walk while striking out one. An inherited runner scored on a passed ball by sophomore catcher Connor Rule.

The second game of the series is scheduled for today at 2:30 p.m., followed by the final game of the series scheduled for Tuesday at Tointon Family Stadium with first pitch at 4 p.m. Admission is free for all fans who wish to attend.

This account was generated by Camayak on 2017-09-06, please refer to http://support.camayak.com/connect-your-camayak-account-to-your-existing-wordpress-account/ if you wish to delete it.