K-State baseball team concludes Fall World Series

0
53
Members of the Kansas State University Wildcats baseball team play against the West Virginia Mountaineers at the Tointon Family Stadium in Manhattan, Kan. on April 22, 2017. The Wildcats went on to win the game with a final score of 8-4. (File photo by Justin Wright | Collegian Media Group)

Team Black took the win against Team Purple in the final game of the Fall World Series scrimmage with a score of 10-3 Tuesday in Tointon Family Stadium. The Fall World Series is the Kansas State baseball team’s annual scrimmage against itself.

Team Purple took the first game of the scrimmage 9-4, with eight runs in the first two innings Saturday. K-State’s internal series continued on Monday with Team Black coming out on top 6-3.

The first game of the Fall World Series saw freshman Dylan Watts’ leadoff walk followed by senior Jake Billers’ RBI double in the first inning, putting Team Purple on the scoreboard early. Next, redshirt junior TK McWhertor hit one of two RBI doubles, scoring Biller and sophomore Will Brennan.

The second inning of game one was highlighted by Brennan bringing home Watts, followed by senior Trent McMaster bringing McWhertor home.

Team Black was highlighted by runs from the underclassmen: freshmen Brett Owen, John Sorensen, Jordan Maxson and sophomore Connor Rule.

Game two of the series was highlighted by a team-high of three runs by Rule. Another underclassman who saw success in game two was sophomore Tyler McKay, who struck out six in five innings, leading Team Black to victory.

All six runs by Team Black in game two came in the first three innings, and the three RBIs in the game were all hit by players new to the K-State baseball program.

In the last match of the K-State Fall World Series, senior Kyle Barfield put Team Black up early on the scoreboard by tripling for his third consecutive game.

Team Black continued its scoring efforts and took a 4-0 lead, including an RBI double by Rule.

Team Black’s lead was extended by a leadoff single by junior transfer Tanner Schuetz to increase the lead to 5-0.

With Team Black going up 8-0, Team Purple was able to get on the board with three runs.

By the end of game three, Team Black scored two more runs and ended the game with the victory over Team Purple.

K-State Baseball opens its official spring season against the University of South Alabama on Feb. 16 in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.

In the 2016 baseball season, the Wildcats went 26-31 overall and 8-16 in Big 12 play, finishing eighth in the conference.