Volleyball loses to KU, sets eyes on TCU this weekend

0
47
The Kansas State volleyball team play the University of Kansas at Horejsi Family Athletics Center in Lawrence, Kan. on Nov. 8, 2017. (Photo by Justin Wright | Collegian Media Group)

The Kansas State volleyball team lost in four sets to the University of Kansas on Wednesday night in Lawrence.

Junior outside hitter Kylee Zumach had a night she won’t forget — she eclipsed the 1,000 kill mark in her K-State volleyball career and became just the 18th player in Wildcat history to do so.

“It’s just a really cool accomplishment,” Zumach said to K-State Sports. “I’m really happy that I could do it with this group of girls. I’ve played with some really great volleyball players. I couldn’t have done it without my teammates and coaches, family, the K-State family and support staff. It’s a bittersweet night, but not a lot of people can say they did that.”

K-State came out swinging and won the first set of the match, but the Wildcats lost the next three sets, leaving KU the ultimate victor 3-1.

K-State’s volleyball record is now 9-16 overall and 2-10 in Big 12 conference play this season, while KU’s record improved to 21-4 and 10-2 in conference play.

“I thought we competed hard,” head coach Suzie Fritz said to K-State Sports. “I thought, at times, we were playing good volleyball. I think we are still trying to become the team that we are capable of becoming and doing things consistently well.”

Zumach led the team in kills with 15, senior opposite Bryna Vogel finished with eight kills and sophomore middle blocker Elle Sandbothe had seven kills.

The game between the Wildcats and the Jayhawks was very back and forth — the score was tied 22 times, and the lead changed nine times. But in the end, KU was just too much for K-State.

Next up for the Wildcats is a home volleyball match against Texas Christian University on Saturday night at 7 p.m. This will be their second matchup of the season; the Horned Frogs won their first meeting 3-1 on Oct. 4.

K-State will try to win its first volleyball match in over a month against TCU. The Wildcats started 1-0 in the Big 12, but they have won just one conference match in 11 attempts since that first victory.