Women’s basketball hosts 50th season home opener tonight

0
28
Junior forward Brianna Lewis attempts to put a jump shot past Kansas forward Tyler Johnson during the Sunflower Showdown at Allen Fieldhouse in Lawrence, Kan. on Jan. 20, 2016.(Archive photo by Parker Robb | Collegian Media Group)

The Kansas State women’s basketball team will host Stephen F. Austin State in their regular season home opener tonight at 5:30 p.m. in Bramlage Coliseum.

This season marks the 50th year for the women’s basketball program at K-State. In the series history between these two teams in the regular season, K-State leads 3-2 overall, 2-0 in Manhattan. In season openers, K-State is 40-9.

The Wildcats ended their exhibition schedule undefeated with a 61-46 win over Fort Hays State on Monday night.

This year’s team roster consists of five freshmen, one sophomore, three juniors and three seniors.

This is head coach Jeff Mittie’s fourth season leading the Wildcats. At K-State, Mittie has led the Wildcats to a 61-38 record.

For Stephen F. Austin State, this is head coach Mark Kellogg’s third season leading the team. Kellogg has led his team to a 43-20 record over that time.

K-State’s lead scorer in its last game against Fort Hays State was sophomore forward Peyton Williams. Williams finished the game with 20 points, playing for 24 minutes on the court.

All five starters for K-State scored at least five points, and none fouled out. Junior guard Kayla Goth shot 40 percent from the field, had five assists and ended the night with nine points in 32 minutes on the court. Freshman guard Cymone Goodrich played 33 minutes, finishing with eight points. Junior forward Kali Jones contributed eight points and saw 20 minutes of game action.

In the Wildcats’ first exhibition game against Emporia State, freshman guard Rachel Ranke shot 50 percent, adding eight points with three assists. Senior forward Kaylee Page totaled nine points in 16 minutes. Williams shot 2-3 while going 4-4 from the line, ending with eight points over 17 minutes.

Page is the third player in the program’s history who is at least six feet tall with 90 or more three-point field goals. Last season, Page had a .360 three-point field goal percentage while making 20-27 from the free throw line.

Senior guard Karyla Middlebrook started in 31 out of 33 games in the 2016-2017 season and played for 868 minutes. Middlebrook shot a .368 field goal percentage and .719 from the free throw line. Collecting 78 defensive rebounds and 106 assists, Middlebrook totaled 301 points.

Senior guard Shaelyn Martin played 793 minutes last season, averaging 23.3 per game. Martin made 48 out of 72 attempted free throws and recorded 117 defensive rebounds. By the end of the season, Martin had scored 161 points, averaging 4.7 per game.

The game between K-State and Stephen F. Austin State is scheduled to tip off tonight at 5:30 p.m. Fans can watch the game for free on K-StateHD.TV.

This account was generated by Camayak on 2017-09-06, please refer to http://support.camayak.com/connect-your-camayak-account-to-your-existing-wordpress-account/ if you wish to delete it.