Volleyball loses in five sets to TCU

0
49
The Kansas State volleyball team talks strategy during a time-out at the volleyball match between the University of Kansas and Kansas State University at Ahearn Field House on Sept. 24, 2017. (File photo by Cooper Kinley | Collegian Media Group)

The Kansas State volleyball team fell in five sets to Texas Christian University on Saturday night in Ahearn Field House.

The Wildcats’ record is now 9-17 overall and 2-11 in Big 12 play, while the Horned Frogs are 11-14 and 3-10 in Big 12 play.

This was the 10th five-set match of the season for K-State, which is a new record for the volleyball program.

“I liked our match demeanor quite a bit,” head coach Suzie Fritz said to K-State Sports. “I thought we stayed pretty loose. I thought we played pretty confidently even when we gave up a couple point-scoring runs. We found our way to create some momentum. We worked our way back into the fourth after being down to give ourselves a chance to go to five.”

K-State played without its lone senior, opposite Bryna Vogel, who is out with a knee injury. Junior outside hitter Kylee Zumach stepped up big time, with a team high of 18 kills and nine digs.

“I thought Zumach did a really nice job,” Fritz said to K-State Sports. “She took on a bigger role and still hit .240. Having to play six rotations for the first time in a while, I thought she did a nice job of handling a pretty significant workload.”

Both teams went back and forth in the first set, but the Wildcats scored the final seven of nine points to win it, 25-22.

The next two sets were dominated by the Horned Frogs, who won the second set 25-14 and the third set 25-20, hitting over .333 in both sets and holding K-State under .150 in both sets.

The fourth set was a must-win set for K-State, and the Wildcats came up with a 25-17 set win to force a decisive fifth set.

Both teams were very evenly matched. With the Wildcats down 13-10, K-State scored the next four points to claim a match point. TCU held off the Wildcats, however, and scored the final three points and won the final set 16-14 to take the match.

On Wednesday, K-State will take on Baylor in Waco, Texas, for its final match on the road this season. The first serve is set for 6 p.m.