Women’s basketball will face Florida A&M tonight

0
24
The Kansas State Wildcats women's basketball team plays the University of Nebraska Omaha Mavericks at Ahearn Field House in Manhattan, Kan. on Nov. 13, 2017. The Wildcats went on to win with a final score of 81 to 60. (Photo by Justin Wright | Collegian Media Group)

After beating Stephan F. Austin State and the University of Nebraska Omaha, the Kansas State women’s basketball team will be looking for a third win against Florida A&M tonight at 5:30 p.m. in Bramlage Coliseum.

Florida A&M’s record is 0-2 this season, with its losses coming to Eastern Michigan University and Texas Tech.

In their last game, the Wildcats shot over 54 percent from the floor to beat Omaha 81-60. Freshman guard Rachel Ranke led the team in scoring with 20 points.

Head coach Jeff Mittie said he has faith that Ranke will always find a way to keep K-State in the game.

“We know Rachel can shoot the basketball,” Mittie said to K-State Sports. “I think she has started to do a little bit more as well. Her defense is much better than it was. The other night, she showed ability to get to the rim some. We feel confident that she is going to score some points.”

Junior guard Kayla Goth almost had herself a double-double, getting 16 points and nine rebounds. Senior guard Shaelyn Martin almost had a triple-double, earning 12 points, nine rebounds and eight assists.

Martin said she was pleased the team’s overall play.

“If you look at the stat sheet, everyone contributed — we have four players in double digits, and everybody got in there,” Martin said to K-State Sports. “If you look at the assists, having 24 assists is huge. We really focus on getting deflections on defense, and if we can turn half of those into steals, that’s huge overall. I think we’ve made big strides since the first game.”

After tonight’s game against the Rattlers, the Wildcats will have their first test on the road when they travel to face the University of North Texas on Sunday.