SGA denies budget increase for Collegian Media Group, introduces resolution on GOP tax plan

2
148

During the Student Governing Association’s meeting on Nov. 16, the Collegian Media Group made a final attempt to have the Student Governing Association reconsider its budget increase proposal but was denied on a 36-11 vote to instead issue a continuance.

Rafael Garcia, co-editor-in-chief of the Collegian and junior in print journalism, said the Collegian Media Group would like to create more digital content but cannot afford to do so under its current budget due to inflation and increased costs of operation.

“Print makes money, but all of it goes back into printing the paper,” Garcia said. “As every cost goes up, the overall budget cuts hurt our students.”

To move in a digital direction, the Collegian Media Group would have to shift some of its focus away from its printed publications, but the advertising in the print edition of the Collegian provides a large source of the group’s revenue, Garcia said.

Garcia said the print editions of the Collegian bring in about $80,000 in revenue while online publishing revenue is a net loss of about $60,000.

Victor Valdez, student senator and junior in economics, argued against a budget increase for the Collegian Media Group.

“There are all kinds of departments who need more funding,” Valdez said. “Print media is dying. There is no point to continue throwing money at a dying art.”

The student senate voted 36-11 against the request for a budget increase, instead granting a continuance of last year’s budget. Privilege fee-funded entities are reviewed by the senate’s Privilege Fee Committee every three years, and The last time the Collegian Media Group received a budget increase was in 2005.

The student senate also introduced a resolution regarding the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act in the United States legislature. The resolution was approved through special order that same night.

According to the House of Representatives’ Ways and Means Committee, the act will bring tax relief to Americans and streamline higher education benefits, allowing families to better save for and afford college tuition and other expenses.

The resolution states that Subtitle C of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act “seeks to implement the taxation of tuition waivers as income for undergraduate and graduate students.”

The resolution recommends that Kansas representatives immediately propose an amendment to Subtitle C to prevent taxation of tuition waivers as income.

The senate approved a resolution that advocates for the prioritization of need-based scholarships. The resolution said the total cost of attendance at Kansas State has outpaced scholarship and grant money available to students, partially contributing to K-State’s decline in enrollment.

Editor’s note: A previous version of this article incorrectly stated the Collegian receives $10,000 in profit from its digital platforms. The article has been corrected to reflect the fact that the Collegian operates its digital platforms at a net loss.

The article stated that a resolution against the potential taxation of graduate student tuition waivers was solely introduced at the senate meeting. The resolution was actually special ordered and approved in the same meeting.

The article also incorrectly attributed sections of a resolution supporting the prioritization of need-based scholarships to the previously mentioned resolution against the potential taxation of tuition waivers as income. The resolution on need-based scholarships was its own separate resolution.

The article also incorrectly stated that the senate had introduced a resolution recommending charges against Dauntarius Williams, who filed a false police report for alleged racist vandalism he had done to his own car. The resolution was scheduled to be introduced but was pulled and referred to the senate’s executive committee.

• Skeptical

It’s pretty bad when you post an article about needing more money and the corrections to the article are longer than the article itself. Good going.

• Eh

I guess some of the writers are better than others…