Women’s basketball to face Missouri Thursday night in Big 12/SEC match-up

0
74
The Kansas State Wildcats women's basketball team play the University of Nebraska Omaha Mavericks at Ahearn Field House in Manhattan, Kan. on Nov. 13, 2017. The Wildcats went on to win with a final score of 81 to 60. (File photo by Justin Wright | Collegian Media Group)

The Kansas State women’s basketball team will travel to Columbia, Missouri, on Thursday to face the University of Missouri in the Big 12/SEC challenge.

Both K-State and Missouri come into this game with five wins and only one loss. The Wildcats were nine points away from upsetting now No. 7 University of California, Los Angeles last weekend in the South Point Thanksgiving Shootout in Las Vegas.

The No. 19 Missouri Tigers lost their first regular season game against Western Kentucky in the Hawkeye Challenge on Nov. 10 but have gone on to win five straight. Their biggest win against a ranked opponent came with a score of 55-52 against No. 21 University of California, Berkeley.

Freshman guard Rachel Ranke leads K-State in shots made from beyond the arc this season with 20. Averaging 13.8 points a game, Ranke has started all but one game.

Two-sport athlete and sophomore forward Peyton Williams is averaging 5.7 boards in each of the six games she has started for the Wildcats this season.

Senior guard Shaelyn Martin is finding a way to make an impact this season. Martin is fifth on the team in points scored with 47, but she finds a way to help her team in other areas. With 49 total rebounds, 39 being on the defensive end, Martin is earning her spot in the starting five.

The Wildcats had their biggest win in the matter of point differential on Nov. 10 against the University of Stephen F. Austin, where K-State won by 25 points. The closest game win for K-State came against the University of North Texas in Denton, Texas, Nov. 19, where they pulled out the victory 55-54.

Missouri has had the same starting lineup in every game this season and has three starters averaging in double figures. Redshirt junior guard Lauren Aldridge has 33.8 minutes of game action on average, and junior guard Sophie Cunningham has averaged 31.3 minutes on the court per game.

The Tigers are averaging 70.2 points in games and holding opponents to 61.8. On the other side of the matchup, the Wildcats are scoring 69.3 points and only allowing 58.2 to their opponents.

The Wildcats and Tigers will tip off at 8 p.m. The next home game for the Wildcats after facing Missouri will be Dec. 6 in Bramlage Coliseum against the University of Texas, Arlington.

This account was generated by Camayak on 2017-09-06, please refer to //support.camayak.com/connect-your-camayak-account-to-your-existing-wordpress-account/ if you wish to delete it.