What to watch: NFL Week 13

0
43

Playoff spots are filling up, and teams are fighting for position to play beyond the regular season.

Minnesota Vikings vs. Atlanta Falcons

Minnesota is clearly in the lead of the NFC North and should coast into the playoffs.

Vikings wide receiver Adam Thielen has been playing out of his mind. The Minnesota native has averaged 119 receiving yards through the last four games and has scored a touchdown in all but one of those games. Thielen is currently third in the NFL with 1,005 receiving yards on the year.

After going 4-1 in its last five games, Atlanta is looking at getting the sixth and final spot in the playoffs for the NFC.

The Falcons have a talented receiver of their own, arguably one of the best in the league. Julio Jones exploded for 253 yards and two touchdowns last week. The four-time Pro Bowler sits above Thielen in league receiving yards, as he is second with 1,039.

The game is set to air Sunday at 12 p.m. on FOX.

Carolina Panthers vs. New Orleans Saints

It seems that the NFC South is the division to be in if you want to win games — three of its four teams have a winning record and have gone on significant winning streaks. Carolina is on a four-game win streak with an 8-3 record, and the Panthers are tied for first in the division with New Orleans.

Since fellow receiver Kelvin Benjamin was traded to Buffalo, Devin Funchess has been the primary target for Cam Newton. In that three-game stretch, Funchess has posted marks of 86, 92 and 108 receiving yards, as well as tallying two receiving touchdowns.

Until being defeated by the Los Angeles Rams in week 12, New Orleans was on an eight-game win streak.

The Saint offense has been phenomenal. It ranks second in total and passing yards per game, third in rushing yards per game and fourth in points per game.

The running back play has been great as well. Mark Ingram is first in the NFL with eight rushing touchdowns, and Alvin Kamara has scored a rushing or receiving touchdown in each of his last five games.

Kickoff is scheduled for 3:25 p.m. Sunday on FOX.

Philadelphia Eagles vs. Seattle Seahawks

Philadelphia is at the top of the NFC with a 10-1 record. It has been a balanced team, ranking first in the league in points scored per game and third in points allowed per game.

Carson Wentz continues his MVP campaign. He leads the league in passing touchdowns with 28, and has thrown for 2,657 yards. Wentz hasn’t thrown an interception since Oct. 29 and has only thrown five all year.

Seattle is second in the NFC West and is currently sitting just outside of the NFC playoff picture. After a tough three-point loss to Atlanta two weeks ago, they rebounded by beating San Francisco.

The Seahawks are riddled by injuries defensively. They are without defensive end Cliff Avril, cornerback Richard Sherman and safety Kam Chancellor for the rest of the season.

Quarterback Russell Wilson has shined for the team. He is third in both passing yards (3,029) and touchdowns (23). Wilson consistently throws upwards of 200 yards a game, throwing over 370 yards in a game twice this season.

The Eagles-Seahawks game is this week’s Sunday Night Football matchup, set for 7:30 p.m. on NBC.