Kansas City Chiefs hoping to move past recent losses

0
34

The Kansas City Chiefs, who seemed in perfect position for a dream season as they were undefeated through week five of the 2017 NFL season, are now looking to get out of the nightmare they have found themselves in.

Not only were the Chiefs leading the NFL in almost every offensive category, but they had wins against respected teams such as the New England Patriots, the Philadelphia Eagles and the Washington Redskins.

Since the Chiefs’ last win against the Houston Texans on Oct. 8, they have struggled to claim victory, only having a single win in the last six games.

The midseason dip started with a 19-13 loss against the Pittsburgh Steelers on Oct. 15, and since then the positive momentum has shifted downward.

The latest setback the Chiefs have faced is a shocking loss to the Buffalo Bills last Sunday, with veteran quarterback Alex Smith and rookie running back Kareem Hunt showing dwindling offensive performances since the beginning of the season where they put up record numbers.

Hunt began the season with 609 rushing yards, but since the Steelers loss he has only rushed for 281 yards.

Smith has also shown a decrease in individual performance. Smith started the season with a 125.8 quarterback rating, 76.6 percent completed passes and zero interceptions. Smith’s completed passes percentage has since dwindled to 63 percent over his last six games, and he has thrown four interceptions in his last three games.

Smith’s poor performance has led to the conversation of having rookie quarterback Patrick Mahomes II start in front of Smith, especially with the rest of the offense struggling recently.

Kansas City Chiefs head coach Andy Reid told ESPN that he is not projecting Mahomes to start for the next game against the New York Jets.

“That’s my responsibility when the offense starts that slow,” Reid said to ESPN. “We couldn’t get much rhythm going until the second half, and then we got a little going. Again, I’ll take responsibility for that.”

The Chiefs’ defense is also noticeably struggling to find success since they had already lost starting cornerback Steven Nelson during the pre-season.

Through week 11 of the football season, the Chiefs have given up the fourth-most rushing yards, and they are tied for the sixth-most rushing touchdowns in the league.

The next game the Chiefs are scheduled for is against the New York Jets on Dec. 3, where the Chiefs will attempt to salvage their season.