OPINION: Songs to add to your perfect wedding playlist

0
114
Opinion graphic

Everyone knows that in order to have a legendary wedding, the couple will need the perfect playlist. From the classics to current pop, here are the songs everyone must make sure the DJ plays at their wedding.

Classics

The classics come first. These will get everyone from your great-grandma to your 8-year-old nephew ready to dance. Songs like “Love Shack” by The B-52s, “I’m Gonna Be (500 Miles)” by The Proclaimers, “Brown Eyed Girl” by Van Morrison and “Bohemian Rhapsody” by Queen are sure to please everyone’s music tastes. These songs are wedding classics that everyone is sure to enjoy.

Line dances

If those aren’t enough to get everyone dancing, then it’s time for the line dances. We have the classic “Cotton Eye Joe” by Rednex, “YMCA” by Village People, “Cupid Shuffle” by Cupid and “Watch Me (Whip/Nae Nae)” by Silentó (for all the kids who still think it’s the coolest dance move). These songs are the go-to when it’s time to get people on the dance floor.

I will also throw in “Crank That (Soulja Boy)” by Soulja Boy and “Stanky Legg (Main Edit)” by GS Boyz, because you all know we want to relive our glory days of middle school dances.

Slow dances

At this point in the reception, everyone may be getting tired (or tired of being single), so here are some slow songs that will get the couples, newlyweds and paired single people on the dance floor to enjoy some time together. Starting it off, we have “Can’t Help Falling in Love” by Elvis Presley, “I Don’t Want to Miss a Thing” by Aerosmith and “I’ll Be” by Edwin McCain.

Newer songs like “All of Me” by John Legend and “I Won’t Give Up” by Jason Mraz are also good for slow dancing. These songs are sure to bring out the romantic energy that all weddings should have. I mean, a really good wedding dance could lead to more weddings later when you think about it.

Nostalgia bombs

By this time, many of the little kids and elderly people may have gone home, and the open bar has done its job — it’s time to relive the glory days and play songs from your high school and college years.

To start this section, we have “All the Small Things” by blink-182, “Gold Digger” by Kanye West, “I Want It That Way” by Backstreet Boys and other songs that are sure to get those memories from partying in the 2000s coming right back.

Finale

The last song that should be played at any wedding if you are proud of your alma mater is “Wildcat Victory” by the one and only Kansas State University Marching Band.

I created a playlist on Spotify called “KSU Wedding Playlist” with all these songs and more. Find it now and check out all the songs that go along with this list.

Acacia Lael Thalmaan is a senior in fine arts. The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the Collegian. Please send comments to [email protected]