Health fair offers information on fitness, sexual health

0
10

Students wanting hoping to be more informed about health and wellness in college attended a health fair from Thursday afternoon in Kramer Dining Center.

The fair offered students information on topics ranging from proper diet and exercise to sexual health and asthma awareness.

Carol Kennedy, director of health promotions at Lafene Health Center, attended the fair. She said making students aware of proper health habits in college starts right away.

“It’s the beginning of the school year,” she said. “We want to teach students to make responsible choices for their health.”

Kennedy said the concept of the “freshman 15” weight gain is partially true, but a bit exaggerated.

“Students’ health changes when they come to college because they are no longer under their parents’ watchful eye,” she said. “Students can gain weight when they get to college, but the idea of 15 pounds is a bit of a misnomer.”

Allison Voris, junior in open option and Sexual Health Awareness Peer Educators member, was present at the fair along with other SHAPE members. Voris said students need to know about sexual health, as it is just as important as any other kind of health.

“We (SHAPE) are certified by the American Red Cross, and we want to educate everyone so they can help prevent HIV and AIDS,” she said.

Voris said SHAPE offers condoms to students as a way to prevent the spread of sexually transmitted diseases.

“We are giving out condoms to everyone who walks by to promote safe sex in the real world and on college campuses,” she said. Voris said safe sex and sexual-health awareness should be important to everyone, on or off campus.

Besides wellness and sexual health, the health fair offered students a chance to see some of the new programs offered through Lafene, like asthma and allergy programs.

Curtis Wolfe, general staff physician at Lafene and director of the center’s asthma and allergies program, said this is the first year students can to further educate themselves about such conditions through the university.

“We want students to know we’re here,” he said. “We’re here to cater to students’ needs.”