“Tough Enough to Wear Pink,” breast cancer awareness campaign, finishes the week with a barbecue and a donation to the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation.

0
7

People wore pink Friday afternoon as they ate hotdogs and chips at a barbecue in front of Weber Hall.

Collegiate Cattlewomen and Sigma Alpha organized the event in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

Last week, the two organizations sold pink T-shirts for the week-long “Tough Enough to Wear Pink” campaign. The barbecue ended the week. The event raised money for breast cancer awareness.

The money from the shirts was donated to the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation. At noon Friday, a check for $7,507 was presented to Karla Schmidt, a representative from the foundation.

“We’ve had a really good turnout,” said Tawnya Roenbaugh, sophomore in food science and Sigma Alpha philanthropy chair. “We completely sold out of shirts.”

Pamphlets on breast cancer, self-examinations, what to do if a person might have breast cancer and how people can help were available to attendees.

Those wearing pink at the barbecue were eligible to win prizes donated by local businesses.

“The community has been really supportive,” Roenbaugh said.

The Manhattan Fire Department brought one of its fire trucks to the barbecue to show its support for the breast cancer awareness campaign. All the firefighters wore the “Tough Enough to Wear Pink” T-shirt.

Although the foundation is national, the money raised will stay in Kansas, said Crystal Young, senior in animal science and agricultural communications and campaign chairman.

The money will be used for research, education and aid for women who cannot afford exams and treatment.

Organizers planned the campaign to be within the College of Agriculture, but more people got involved than anticipated, Young said. Collegiate Cattlewomen and Sigma Alpha want to make it an annual event.

“It’s national Breast Cancer Awareness Month,” she said. “We thought it was really important to generate awareness in young people.”