Look beyond ’08 for interesting election in ’10

0
16

Now that the hustle and bustle of the 2006 elections have mostly passed, we can focus on an election that will have much more drama. No, not 2008 – I’m talking about 2010.

Sure, 2008 will have some interesting anti-Hilary ads, and we’ll see if Rep.-elect Nancy Boyda lives up to her promises, but how can Kansans not look ahead to 2010?

Kansas’ own Sen. Sam Brownback is thought to be one of the possible social conservatives vying for the Republican nomination for president in ’08. However, if he decides against this, or isn’t nominated, his term in the Senate will expire in 2010. It is widely believed the senior senator will not seek re-election, honoring his self-imposed term limit. This would leave a Senate seat wide open. And here is where it gets interesting.

Another term that will expire in 2010 is that of Gov. Kathleen Sebelius. She was quoted in the Nov. 14 edition of the Collegian all but denying she would accept a position in a Democratic White House.

“I ran for governor to be governor of this great state,” she said. “I intend to be right here.”

What better way to serve Kansas than as a voice in the U.S. Senate? Yes, a Democratic senator from Kansas. According to the Kansas Secretary of State’s Web site, Sebelius won re-election by 18 percentage points (59 to 41). This proves her popularity, but against whom might she run?

Sen. Pat Roberts, R-Kan., was elected in 1996 after serving in the U.S. House of Representatives for 26 years, representing Kansas’ first district. Ironically, he won the seat seat vacated by retiring Congressman Keith Sebelius, father-in-law of the current governor. But taking from this model, a possible opponent for Sebelius in ’10 could be Rep. Jerry Moran. The Republican won “The Big First” with almost 80 percent of the votes, according to the Secretary of State’s Web site.

Two well-known politicians in ’10 could make one heck of a race, the name recognition of Sebelius to Moran’s popularity and party affiliation – don’t forget, this is a red state. And who knows, maybe Rep. Jim Ryun will make a triumphant return to seek the seat vacated by Brownback. But either way, the national political scene could be extremely different in four years, so let’s focus on a smaller scale.

In 2010, Paul Morrison will most likely seek re-election as Kansas attorney general. After all of the bickering and negative campaigning of the 2006 election, from both sides, 2010 will be a test for Morrison. If he lives up to everything he said, he should win in a landslide, but if not, he will get the axe.

While pundits and politicians are arguing and smearing in preparation for 2008, I encourage all of you to tune out Sean Hannity’s verbal diarrhea, ignore the Barack Obama bandwagon, and look ahead to 2010. Who knows? Maybe by then the central issue won’t be Iraq.

Owen Kennedy is a junior in managment. Please send comments to opinion@spub.ksu.edu.