‘Abortion Diaries’ to help other empathize with women who abort

0
12

The experiences of 12 women and their decisions to abort their pregnancies will be the topic of interest tonight at the Manhattan Public Library.

A screening of the 30-minute documentary “The Abortion Diaries” will begin at 7 p.m. at the library, 629 Poyntz Ave.

The event is sponsored by the Manhattan chapter of the National Organization for Women and the K-State women’s studies program.

According to NOW’s official Web site, the organization is the largest, most comprehensive feminist advocacy group in the United States.

The group stands against all oppression, recognizing that racism, sexism and homophobia are interrelated, that other forms of oppression such as classism and ableism work together with these three to keep power and privilege concentrated in the hands of a few, according to the site.

Debbie Nuss, member of NOW, said she found out about “The Abortion Diaries” through a NOW e-mail.

She said she contacted Penny Lane, the film’s director, after receiving an e-mail about screening the documentary.

Nuss said Lane interviewed 12 women about what it was like to make the decision to have an abortion and how they have felt since that time.

“For me, this is a very compelling documentary,” Nuss said.

Nuss said she thinks it is more difficult for women to make the decision to have an abortion today because the issue has become so political as opposed to private.

“Women are discouraged from talking about the issue,” she said. “Once people see this movie and really hear these women’s voices and hear the human side of it, they may sympathize and realize the issue is more than a political volleyball.”

Angela Hubler, director of the Department of Women’s Studies, said she wants students and members of the community to understand what it is like for women going through an abortion since the issue is fairly common but not publicly discussed.

Nuss said there will be a discussion immediately following the screening which she and Hubler will lead. She said Manhattan is the first community in Kansas to screen “The Abortion Diaries.”