Groups combine to preserve history

0
7

Three Manhattan groups will discuss their concerns and vision about the current state and future of historic preservation of the city tonight with a historic summit.

The Manhattan/Riley County Preservation Alliance, Downtown Manhattan, Inc. and the City Historical Resources Board will meet at 7 p.m. at the Union Pacific Depot.

The groups will not join together under one governing body, but will inform each other of projects they are undertaking and issues they feel are important.

“It’s so we don’t duplicate others’ efforts and we support the ones we have in common,” said Bonnie Lynn-Sherow, summit organizer and associate professor of history at K-State. “The biggest thing is the brain trust.”

Some of the groups don’t have many members, and this meeting will give those groups an opportunity to get more ideas from others with similar interests, Lynn-Sherow said.

“We generate more and more opportunity for solutions to problems,” she said. “Thirty heads are better than eight.”

In the past there have been incidences when efforts were almost duplicated, which wastes time and resources.

Although it is not unheard of for someone to be a member of more than one group, not everyone has the time to devote to attending all of the meetings, Lynn-Sherow said.

The summit gives members of all groups a chance to hear from one another, which may lead to plans together down the road.

For instance, if one group is discussing a certain topic at a city commission meeting, then the other groups’ members could show up and offer support.

“It would really allow the city commission to realize there is a preservation community,” Lynn-Sherow said.