Speaker to address global warming in Lou Douglas Lecture Series

0
6

Larry Schweiger, Executive Director of the National Wildlife Federation, will speak as part of the Lou Douglas Lectures Series, presented by UFM Community Learning Center at 7 p.m. today in Forum Hall.

Schweiger will address global warming and how it affects our world, focusing specifically on how the trend is influencing the wildlife populations and wetlands, said Linda Teener, executive director of UFM.

According to the UFM Web site, Schweiger served eight years as President and CEO of Western Pennsylvania Conservancy prior to being named Executive Director of the NWF in 2004.

Schweiger helped expand ecological research and increase visibility for WPC through his work on many promotional and community projects.

Schweiger also served as vice president of the Chesapeake Bay Foundation, as well as publishing magazines and leading affiliate and regional programs for the NWF on an earlier tour that lasted from 1981 to 1995.

Schweiger is a co-chair of the Governing Council of the Alliance for Climate Protection.

Teener encouraged students and faculty to attend the lecture with an open mind, saying, “Global warming is something we all need to be more concerned about.”

She also suggested looking up the showing dates on the K-State Web site for “An Inconvenient Truth,” a film to be shown periodically in the next few months by K-State’s Campaign for Nonviolence.

The Lou Douglas Lecture is free of charge and open to the public.