Girls make breakups harder

0
15

Now that spring is finally here, newfound love seems to be all around us, as almost all of my used-to-be single friends are now tied down. It is my belief, however, all good things must come to an end.

Call me a cynic if you will. I’m not wishing a damper on their happiness; however, I’ve realized if you prepare yourself for an inevitable breakup, it will be less painful when it happens.

If you think about it, some commonly used breakup lines are comical. My personal favorite is “I love you, but I’m not in love with you.” To girls, this statement is so loaded, any guy who chooses to use it for a breakup is asking to make the breakup a bigger deal than it really is. But to guys, there’s no hidden meaning.

According to my favorite Internet stop for help on all things slang, urbandictionary.com, the phrase “I love you, but I’m not in love with you,” means “I don’t love you, and I want to experiment with other people.”

Couples can break up or be broken up with in a multitude of ways. The preferred way is in person, but sometimes people get a little camera shy, so to speak.

One of my favorite episodes of “Sex and the City” involves Carrie, getting dumped via a Post-it note. She didn’t handle it in the most ideal way – she bad-mouthed him to his friends.

Another interesting variant, encountered by my friend almost two years ago, involved the line “I think I’m gay.” Luckily, the two involved are still friends, and he has since figured out he is, in fact, gay. But I can only imagine what would have happened if he hadn’t been gay and was only so desperate to get out of the relationship he was willing to say anything – there’s just no preparing for that.

To keep track of these things, we are lucky to have Facebook.com and the features it offers, News Feed included. Since the addition of the News Feed last semester, it is easy to keep up on the relationship status of all your friends. Everyone knows it’s not official unless Facebook says it is.

It could just be that we, as girls, tend to make relationships harder than they need to be. We tend to read into what guys say when what we need to do is take them for face value.

Misunderstandings are a huge hurdle in any relationship, and one of the best books written on the subject is “He’s Just Not That Into You” by Greg Behrendt and Liz Tuccillo. It tells girls if a guy is really interested in you, he will go out of his way to let you know. If he’s not interested, he won’t. I think everyone, girls and guys alike, should read this book – girls to understand a guy’s point of view and guys to put myths to rest.

Next time you find yourself in the position of a possible breakup, make sure you think it through and try putting yourself in the other person’s shoes to make sure you understand how badly words can sting. Everyone knows that breaking up is hard to do.

Sarah Rasmussen is a junior in mass communications. Please send comments to opinion@spub.ksu.edu.