Counseling, sports help handle stress


Class, activities, work and an intense college social life can overwhelm a student.

According to college mental health statistics from the American Psychiatric Association, nearly 50 percent of all college students have reported feeling depressed to the point they have difficulty functioning in their college careers. The question for most students is where can they go for help?

There are several on campus stress relievers available for K-State students.

Counseling Services and the Academic Assistance Center provide opportunities for students to help deal with mental stress. Peters Recreation Complex also offers classes and intramurals to help keep students in physical shape.

Counseling Services, located in the English and Counseling Services building, provides a variety of services for students including alcohol counseling, confidential counseling and group counseling.

“One option for students is to come in for service,” Libby Malone, a pre-doctor psychologist said. “But before they reach that point they can do some self care and learn how to manage their stress. Eating well, getting sleep and exercise are vital, and many students do not get that.”

For those students who are feeling overwhelmed with academic classes, tutoring is available through the Academic Assistance Center and the Office of Student Life at Holton Hall. Here, students can get set up with a tutor to find relief for classes that might be difficult or troubling.

To take another route in stress relief, students can attend classes held at the rec or play intramurals.

With a wide variety of classes offered, from yoga to kickboxing, students can choose how to relieve their stress. In addition to classes, intramurals are offered year-round in a variety of sports.

In addition to Malone’s essentials for staying healthy, many students have their own ways of relieving stress. “I like to talk to someone I feel that understands me,” Natalie Cloud, sophomore in dietetics, said. Another option for students living in the dorms, is to talk with their Resident Assistants. RAs can offer living assistance and are available to students to discuss problems and concerns.

“It is very common for students to go to RAs when things are of concern,” said Derek Jackson, assistant director of Housing and Dining Services. “They are there to be an intake. If they cannot help the student, they are well trained to getting them the next level of help.”

Whether it is going to an RA or a class at the rec, students should choose any of these options to maintain mental health, or simply a method of their own.