No increase in parking tickets because of construction

0
11

Parking tickets on campus have not increased because of parking garage construction, the director of parking services said.

At the beginning of every school year, parking services officials have been lenient in issuing tickets because they recognize many people have not yet picked up their parking passes, and people who are new to campus do not quite understand the rules yet, Director Darwin Abbott said.

This semester, because of all the parking changes, Abbott said students and faculty have had to work to get a citation.

However, off-campus traffic has had plenty of time to adjust, and parking services is beginning to push people into their designated parking areas, Abbott said. But even if parking services had not been lenient in the first month of school, he said the number of tickets still would be down from past years.

“The great bulk of tickets came from the metered lot south of the Union,” Abbott said.

“With those gone, and because of the shuttle, we’re writing fewer tickets.”

But one parking issue that has not changed is students illegally parking in lots designated for buildings like the Marianna Kistler Beach Museum of Art and the K?State Alumni Center.

Steve Logback, Alumni Center director of communications, said the center’s main concern is making sure visitors of the center, which often include students have a palace to park.

“We’re not looking at any particular groups,” he said. “We just want to make sure we are able to provide enough space for our guests.”

Abbott said he thought the parking situation will remain easy during the school year and will become less of a problem with the completion of the Union garage.

But some off-campus students are trying to avoid parking by choosing alternative methods of transportation. Mikkel Kjelshus, senior in civil engineering, said he rides his bicycle to class everyday to ensure he does not receive a parking ticket.

“I bought (my bicycle) when I first moved to Manhattan because for the cost of a parking permit, I could practically buy a bike,” he said. “Besides almost getting run over by cars and occasionally getting made fun of – since I’m a big guy on a bicycle – it’s a really good experience.”

Kjelshus said his advice to those students who are struggling with the current parking situation is to invest in a bike.

“It’s great exercise, and if everyone rode a bike, I wouldn’t look nearly as dorky,” he said.