Christian rights’ 3rd party will make Democratic win easier

0
12

Rudolph Giuliani might win the republican nomination for president but lose one-third of the Republican support.

Social conservatives are threatening to form a third party if Rudolph Giuliani gets the nomination. In a party where social conservatives make up at least one-third of the voting population, to form a third party would be a profound statement of not only democracy – but stupidity. They would empower the left and destroy themselves.

With all this at stake, how might a former mayor of New York spark such a controversial split of such an old party? The answer is simple: he might support abortion, which is a deal breaker for social conservatives.

Giuliani has been extremely vague with his answers about where he stands on abortion. His public position is that he will appoint judges the people want.

On Oct. 1, National Public Radio reported a group of leading social conservatives in Salt Lake City, all members of an organization known as the Council for National Policy, voted a resolution stating if Giuliani is elected, they would consider forming a third party.

In an amazing display of democracy, and the freedom to further any belief, we have to wonder if this will help or hurt their cause.

Abortion is clearly a divisive and easily visible issue, but it isn’t the only reason the Council for National Policy is upset.

On Oct. 1, MSNBC reported the council is unhappy with a number of issues and feels betrayed socially and economically by the Republican Party. MSNBC reported that while the target at the moment, these social conservatives aren’t happy with any of the Republican frontrunners.

However, splitting from the Republican Party would be like shooting themselves in the foot. Splitting the Republican Party this close to a national election would ensure a victory for the Democratic candidate. Giuliani polls the best against Democratic Party candidate Hillary Clinton – the nightmare candidate for all social conservatives.

An Oct. 1 Los Angeles Times article described the history of the Republican Party since Ronald Reagan. For nearly three decades, the Christian right has been extremely dominant and successful in coming out on divisive issues like abortion, death penalty and education. Current conservative candidates, not reflecting these traditional viewpoints of the GOP, open the door for a third party.

Let’s stop for a minute and say there is a third party entering the general election. Who would they run? With as wide open as the republican primary for president has been, why isn’t there a staunchly social conservative candidate? It obviously isn’t a lack of fundraising; surely there is enough funding behind the social conservatives and Christian right.

An Oct. 1 New York Times article answered this question. The Times made the observation that perhaps people are finally tired of the old divisive issues. Abortion has been on the political stage for a while and little has changed. People finally might be ready to move past it.

Issues like national security and the war in Iraq are becoming more popular. People at any time have the right to voice their opinion, but in this instance, the social conservatives need to be careful, or they just might destroy their only chance of winning in 2008.

Kevin Phillips is a senior in legal communication. Please send comments to opinion@spub.ksu.edu.