K-State holds off Baylor during 5-game match

0
3

Angie Lastra shattered the all-time K-State career digs record earlier this season, and she continues to widen the gap.

Lastra tied her career high of 36 digs Saturday, helping the No. 12 Wildcats defeat Baylor 3-2 (28-30, 30-19, 28-30, 31-29, 15-11) Saturday in Waco, Texas. K-State moves to 20-7 overall and 12-5 in the Big 12 Conference, holding its third-place standing in the league. Baylor falls to 14-13 overall and 6-10 in the Big 12.

Junior Rita Liliom led the Wildcats’ attackers, tallying a team-high 19 kills on .278 hitting. Junior Jenny Jantsch was close behind, adding a season-high 18 kills on 54 attacks. Juniors Nataly Korobkova and Megan Farr also converted double-digit kills for K-State with 16 and 10, respectively.

Senior setter Stacey Spiegelberg tallied a match-high 65 assists, nine kills and five block assists. Farr put back the Wildcats’ only solo block and totaled four block assists.

In game one, the Wildcats found an early 11-7 lead, but Baylor quickly tied the match at 15-all. The game was close until the finish, as K-State pulled within one at 28-27. However, the Bears converted two of the next three points to win.

K-State breezed through game two on .386 hitting, its best of the match.

The Wildcats were just two points from victory again in game three with a 28-27 lead. Baylor finished with a 3-0 run to win.

The fourth game was the closest, with 14 ties and seven lead changes. Baylor held a late 21-17 lead, but K-State fought back to lead 25-24. The Wildcats won 31-29.

In the pivotal fifth game, Baylor never led. K-State benefited, with the 15-11 victory.

As a team, K-State finished with 81 kills on .272 hitting, while Baylor finished with 79 kills on .227 hitting.

Freshman Lauren Mathewson amassed 16 digs in the match, while senior Lauren Rosenthal totaled 15. The Wildcats finished with 92 as a team.

K-State continued its ace streak, as the Wildcats have recorded at least one service ace in each match since facing Missouri on Nov. 13, 1998. Junior Leslie Townsend led the team with two, while Mathewson and Spiegelberg each added one.

Katie Sanders led Baylor’s attackers, finishing with a match-high 25 kills. The Bears’ Sarah Grace collected 33 digs.

Texas remains first in the Big 12 standings with a 15-1 record, while Nebraska is 14-1. Oklahoma (11-5) sits directly behind K-State (12-5). Texas Tech and Colorado are both tied for last in the conference with 1-16 records.

K-State returns to action Wednesday at Ahearn Field House against Kansas. First serve is set for 7 p.m.