Memorial for former professor today

0
27

A memorial service for a K-State associate professor of sociology who died in July will take place at 4:30 p.m. today at All Faiths Chapel.

Marcial Antonio Riquelme, 70, died July 29 of a stroke in Asuncion, Paraguay. K-State’s memorial was delayed several months to allow Riquelme’s family members to attend, said Debbie Hedrick, administrative specialist for the Department of Sociology, Anthropology and Social Work.

Riquelme, known to many as Tonio, started teaching at K-State in 1991. He served as director of Latin American Studies at K-State from 1991 to 1996. Riquelme also was a professor at the University of San Diego, three universities in Mexico and one university in Colombia during his professional career.

According to Riquelme’s personal Web site, his areas of academic specialization included political sociology and social demography.

Since the mid-1980s, Riquelme’s research with political sociology focused on the process of transition from dictatorship to democracy in the Southern Cone with specific reference to Paraguay. He investigated civil-military relations, electoral reform and the privatization of state-owned enterprises.

Riquelme is survived by his wife Yolande, daughter Tamara and son Jorge. His immediate family, along with his sister, several grandchildren and K-State graduate students and faculty members will speak at the memorial.

Betsy Cauble, head of the Department of Sociology, Anthropology and Social Work, said she had known Riquelme since she came to K-State in 1993. Cauble said she admired how Riquelme stood up to the Paraguay government and the CIA during his lifetime.

“I think people should attend (the memorial) because he affected and touched the lives of many students and faculty at K-State,” Cauble said. “It’s important to honor his career and time at K-State. I think something that I’ll always remember about Dr. Riquelme is what a man of courage he was. He very much believed in human rights and democracy.”