A call for impeachment

0
14

In 2004, the nation was presented with two presidential candidates. One was tough on national security, had actual military service and wasn’t the best at articulating his message. The other candidate was George W. Bush. In the 2000 election, Bush won by a convincing margin of negative 10,000 votes.

Bush’s presidency has been laced with controversy and plagued with failed policy. His shortcomings as a president are confounded only by the terrible precedent he has set. The time has come for the United States to impeach President George W. Bush.

His first offense is his blatant disregard for Congress. Abusing signing statements for his first five and a half years in office, Bush has opened the drawers of his desk and found the “veto” stamp.

As National Public Radio reported on Dec. 3, Bush once again is seeking a fight with congress by using his veto powers. It’s unclear at this point if he just likes playing with stamps or actually disagrees with the bill.

His job is to work with Congress, not to challenge them. That’s why the framers of the Constitution made the legislative branch the most powerful. As the Christian Science Monitor pointed out on Nov. 14, his approval rating is in the low 30s.

Second: his blatant disregard for the Constitution. The oath of office President Bush took ensured he would “uphold and defend the Constitution.” His wiretapping programs, his admission to secret prisons and torture, his lies about Iraq and finally his suspension of habeas corpus in the wake of the Sept. 11 attacks are all charges meriting impeachment.

The scary part is I don’t need proof to discuss these issues; he has admitted to every single one.

Despite how unbelievably asinine his behavior has been, he has had an excuse every step of the way.

His excuses are as follows. For wiretaps: the NSA didn’t wiretap, except people they perceived as possible threats to national security.

On the suspension of habeas corpus: despite never having been convicted of anything, all the people in those secret prison camps have connections to terrorists.

On going to war in Iraq: even without WMD’s ­- the reason we initially went there – Iraq was a global threat and needs our democracy.

I’m a realist; I know impeaching President Bush will not fix all these problems or end our trouble in the Middle East, but I believe an impeachment would still serve a purpose.

Congress impeached President Clinton for committing perjury to prove no one is above the law. It’s time to do it again.

President Bush believes he is above the law with his actions, and the Federal government needs to show not only President Bush, but also the next president, this behavior will not be tolerated.

Bush – and the vice sharpshooter – should be brought up on formal charges, impeached and sent back to Texas.

Kevin Phillips is really sorry people think he hates Christians; he doesn’t … he is one. He disagrees with narrow-minded people, and it’s not his fault if they can’t make the distinction. Please send regards to opinion@spub.ksu.edu.