Friday Factoid

0
21

How much food does Derby Dining Center make each week for residents?

Learning to cook might be one of the first survival skills learned in college. For the less-motivated student, microwave dinners are acceptable, and carry-out is always another option for those who are completely helpless in the kitchen.

Maybe that is why so many students choose the ease and simplicity of residence-hall life and the prepared meals that come with it.

Mark Edwards, director of Derby Dining Center, said his facility serves dinner for more than 1,400 people each day.

Derby Dining Center, known to campus residents as “the Derb,” is the largest dining facility on campus (there are two others – Kramer and Van Zile dining centers). Located between Ford, Haymaker, Moore and West halls, it feeds the 2,000 residents in the four halls of the Derby Complex.

Edwards said he conducted usage surveys and determined in one week the Derb serves: 17,000 meals; about 1,600 hamburger patties, ground and formed by K-State’s Weber Hall; and about 550 gallons of whole, skim and chocolate milk, which is provided by K-State dairy cows and processed at Call Hall.

Edwards said it is hard to determine just how many pounds of food are consumed (and thrown away) at the Derb.

“We have so many different menu choices and selections,” he said. “There are at least five or six different restaurant concepts running at one time.”

The dining facility puts $12,000 in the pockets of student employees each week, Edwards said.

“The earliest workers arrive at 5:30 in the morning and work until 2:30 in the afternoon,” he said. “A later shift arrives at 10:30 and works until 7:30 at night. We have a number of employees working until 8:30 or 9:30 at night at Dashers [a grab’n’go option].

“It’s a seven-day operation,” Edwards said. “We never close except for breaks.”