Cats win 4 events in Colorado

0
12

In a meet that featured sprinters and field athletes, the K-State track and field team came away from the Don Barrett Air Force Open with four event victories and nine second place finishes.

Leading the way for the Wildcats was senior Donniece Parrish, who took first place in the 60-meter and the 200-meter dashes. Parrish matched her personal best when she clocked a time of 7.51 seconds in the 60-meter dash. She posted a time of 24.23 seconds in the 200-meter dash.

Finishing second to Parrish in both events was senior Marnyka Honeycutt.

Honeycutt, a Denver native, had a time of 7.60 seconds in the 60-meter dash, and 25.04 seconds in the 200-meter dash.

In the women’s weight throw, senior Laci Heller topped her personal best by seven inches with her 66-10.00 toss.

Her throw, which was the sixth longest in the nation this season, won the event and met the provisional qualifying mark for the NCAA indoor championships. Junior Loren Groves, who has already qualified for the NCAA indoor championships, placed fourth in the event with a throw of 59-11.00.

The only first-place finish for the men came from freshman Emmanuel Neizer in the long jump.

Neizer earned the event victory with a jump of 23-6.00. In the triple jump, Neizer placed second with a personal best distance of 48-2.50.

Junior Mike Myer also collected two second-place finishes for the Wildcats. In the 60-meter dash, Myer set a new personal best when he posted a time of 6.77 seconds. In the 200-meter dash, he finished with a time of 21.41 seconds.

Senior Thomaida Polydorou also produced a second-place finish for the Wildcats when she covered a distance of 40-06.25 in the women’s triple jump. Junior Nancy Harrington cleared a height of 12-07.50 in the women’s pole vault to place second in the event.

The women’s 4×400-meter relay also posted a second place finish with a time of 3:56.11.

Junior Scott Sellers cleared the bar at 7-02.25 in the high jump to earn another second place finish for the Wildcats.

Sophomore Denise Baker continued to improve her personal best in the 60-meter hurdles.

She beat her personal best twice last week at the Sevigne Husker Invitational in Lincoln, Neb., and topped it again this week when she posted a time of 8.78.