K-State earns 5-2 victory over ranked WSU team

0
12

With the doubles point on the line and K-State’s No. 2 doubles team of freshman Antea Huljev and senior Viviana Yrureta already down 0-3, securing the coveted doubles point did not seem likely.

But through resilient play, Huljev and Yrureta were able to battle back, defeating Wichita State’s Stephanie Dalmacio and Laryssa Ferreira, 8-6 and secured the doubles point for the Wildcats on their way to a 5-2 win over Wichita State on Tuesday. Coach Steve Bietau said he knew winning the doubles point against the Intercollegiate Tennis Association’s No. 33-ranked Shockers would be a challenge.

“I thought it would be tough,” he said. “Antea and Vivi did a good job of fighting back and getting back into that match. Antea hit a couple of key serves at the end and we were fortunate to get the doubles point.”

Huljev and Yrureta’s success at securing the doubles point showed the Wildcat’s improvement over the past few weeks, Yrureta said.

“Well, I think we came back pretty good,” Yrureta said. “We started down 3-0 and we came back. It was a tough match the whole time. I think our game is getting a lot better. I think we’re doing a lot better than we were in the beginning.”

In other doubles action, senior Olga Klimova and junior Katerina Kudlackova faced a challenge against Wichita State’s No. 1 team of Lenore Lazaroiu and Anna Egorova. The WSU duo went on to capture the win, 8-2.

K-State’s French connection of freshmen Vanessa Cottin and Pauline Guemas captured an 8-4 win in the No. 3 doubles spot. The win tied the two teams and forced Huljev and Yrureta to secure the doubles point for the Wildcats.

“They were our most solid spot in the doubles,” Bietau said. “They showed some resilience that none of our other teams did. [It’s] something you don’t always expect from young players.”

Strong play from K-State carried over into singles play, where the Wildcats won four out of the six matches. Yrureta topped Dalmacio, 6-3, 1-6, 6-2 at the No. 1 singles spot; No. 2 singles player Cottin defeated Egorova, 7-5, 6-3; No. 3 singles player Kudlackova beat Browning 2-6, 6-3, 6-3; and Natasha Vieira beat Hanisch, 7-6, 7-4, 7-5, at the No. 4 singles spot. Wichita State won the matches in both the No. 5 and No. 6 spots.

Kudlackova’s match ultimately secured the win for the Wildcats.

“I think it’s pretty big,” Yrureta. “We still have to get better for the teams we play down the road.”

In the end, Bietau said he was pleased with the Wildcats’ play.

“It was the first of five matches where we’re really going to be tested,” he said. “This was an awfully good start.”