A Fresh Gleam

0
18

There’s no escaping a bone-chilling Kansas winter, and there’s no escaping its effect on your skin. Freezing temperatures, dry air and a whipping wind can take a serious toll on your hide, leaving it pasty, scaly and cracked, but not to worry. There are plenty of tricks and remedies to create and give the illusion of healthy, glowing skin.

STAY SMOOTH

All-around healthy, beautiful skin always starts with moisture, said Brenda Williams, nurse manager for Advanced Dermatology. She said because of drier air and lower humidity in the winter seasons, skin is prone to become dry and cracked. Many people also have their furnaces running constantly this time of year, and Williams said that can affect skin also.

To stay soft and healthy, she recommended moisturizing at least once a day for men and women with an unscented moisturizer like Cetaphil and cleansing with a mild, unscented soap like Dove Unscented.

“[Moisturizing] is most effective when you put it on right when you get out of the shower,” Williams said. “This works best because your skin will still be damp.”

COLOR ME BRONZE

It’s almost impossible to stop the onsets of pale skin during a winter in the Midwest unless you do it artificially. For those who prefer a year-round, beachy look, there are plenty of options to fit your skin tone and your lifestyle.

The three most popular ways to achieve tanned skin during the winter are beds, spray-ons and tinted lotions.

Williams said moisturizing is the building block for good-looking skin and to get the best results when using a tanning bed, Sara Rauch, owner of Planet Beach in Manhattan, said moisture is key. Hydrated skin prepares it for the UV-rays and helps the tan last longer, she said.

When choosing to tan in a bed, Rauch said customers have two options Ñ they might use a lay-down or stand-up bed. Beds typically differ in UV strength and length.

“The lay down, depending on what bed you use,” she said, “lasts between 12 and 20 minutes, and the stand up is actually eight minutes. The stand-up fully covers you so you get an all-around coverage tan and is our most intense bed.”

Rauch said there also are lotions available to maximize the tanning experience. For example, accelerator lotions are applied just before going into the bed to help hydrate and prolong the tan, she said. There also are tingle lotions, which bring the melanin closer to the surface of the skin for a faster tan.

“It does make you hot and make you red for about an hour after you use it,” she said, “but it’s not a burn.”

One alternative option that still gives the skin a bronzed tan without the UV-rays is a spray-on, or mist, tan. This tan, Rauch said, lasts about five to seven days and gives an instant, natural-looking color. She said customers should always exfoliate, shave and moisturize before the tan to prolong its glow.

The second option is a tinted lotion. Williams said she has seen patients who have had a spray-on tan or have used a tinted lotion, and she said these products are perfectly safe for the skin. The tinted lotions are moisturizers with an artificial coloring in them to color the skin, she said. This color, however, might wash off in the shower if not regularly applied.

MAKE IT UP

After you’ve hydrated your skin and said goodbye to its chalky complexion, the finishing touch for many women, and occasionally men, is to apply bronzing makeup. However, when used too generously, these bronzers can leave your face orange or a completely different color from the rest of your body.

To avoid this unsightly situation, Karline Jorgensen, studio manager of Merle Normal Cosmetics in Manhattan Town Center Mall, said to try mineral powder.

“Mineral powder is something that works and is really popular right now, because a true mineral makeup just has natural ingredients, free of preservatives and fragrance,” Jorgensen said. “So instead of having a matte finish, a luminous powder gives you the natural glow of how skin would look without any makeup on it.”

Jorgensen said this powder can be worn from sheer to full coverage Ñ whatever looks most natural on you.

Another sun-kissed trick is to apply bronzer, she said, but not

all over the face. This is how your head ends up looking mismatched to your body. Jorgensen said to pick a hue closer to your skin tone, start with light coverage and build the color to avoid applying too much. Next, she said to use bronzer only where the sun naturally hits the face Ñ fore

head, nose, chin and cheekbone.

“It will keep you looking really fresh,” she said.

So even though you can’t stop the freezing temperatures and stinging wind this time of year, you can still look like youÕve spent the last few weeks somewhere much closer to the equator.