Media mogul Ted Turner shows exemplary hypocrisy

0
14

One of my favorite factors of this world in which we live is its’ elitists. From multi-millionaires to larger-than-life figures, they always find some way to interject their opinions on our ways of life. It’s even better when they have enough prestige to burn their names into history because of their “humble” contributions.

For instance, in recent days, multi-millionaire media mogul, philanthropist and environmentalist, Ted Turner, stated his opinion on the whole issue of global warming. According to one of the articles in the April 3 edition of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Turner gave his opinion of the environmental threat in a PBS interview with Charlie Rose.

“It’ll be eight degrees hotter in 30 or 40 years and basically none of the crops will grow,” Turner said in the article. “Most of the people will have died and the rest of us will be cannibals.”

I know – maybe it’s an exaggeration. But it only got better from there.

“On a voluntary basis,” Turner continued, “everybody in the world has got to pledge to themselves that one or two children is it.”

Now my buttons are pushed.

Once again, Turner continues to spout his life philosophy while telling us “regular people” how to live. The CNN founder has been on the frontlines of many social issues, especially environmentalism, for decades now. Despite his good intentions, I have come to see the folly of Turner’s ways and I am here to prove it.

As previously stated, Turner believes that a way to save the environment would be a massive decrease in the population. No idea is perfect, but how does Turner think he has the right to tell us to have one or two children when he is another media mogul with more than five digits in his bank account? Better yet, his own Web site, tedturner.com, boasts about his 10 ranches in seven states, including Kansas. All in all, the guy owns roughly 2 million acres of land.

That’s right – Turner is a multi-millionaire with enough ranches to make him the biggest land owner in the United States.

Furthermore, the Huffington Post stated on Sept. 20, 2007, that Turner was interviewed for GQ magazine’s 50th anniversary issue. In this interview, Turner gave us insight as to what else he does with all that money.

“I lost 80 percent of my wealth and then gave away over half of the rest. So I’m a man of modest means now,” he said.

Whew. I thought he’d never come over to the light.

“But if you budget carefully and watch your expenditures,” Turner continued, “you can get by on a couple billion dollars, you can squeeze by with a couple billion.”

You know what – forget that I, one of many who manage to squeeze by on a couple hundred a month, said anything. However, I’ve saved the worst for last.

In 2005, Turner paid a visit to North Korea. On Sept. 19 that same year, he stated the following in an interview on CNN’s “The Situation Room” with Wolf Blitzer.

“I am absolutely convinced that the North Koreans are absolutely sincere,” Turner said. “There’s really no reason for them to cheat [on nukes]…. I looked them right in the eyes. And they looked like they meant the truth.”

Of course, about 13 months later, it was confirmed that North Korea had tested a nuclear weapon. Now, here’s the kicker. In the previously cited GQ magazine interview, Turner gave the following insight on his North Korea visit.

“I had a great time there,” he said. “There weren’t a lot of fat people walking around. They were all thin. And being thin is healthier than being fat.”

Last time I checked, North Korea’s thin people were the result of a decade-long famine. That’s something “humanitarian” Turner could not comprehend if his life depended on it.

I could go on forever about this, but I’ll spare everyone. Turner is just another case of a hypocritical rich mogul who tells us how to live while “getting by” on millions of dollars and supporting diabolical regimes that starve their own people. If anything, Turner should step aside and let real humanitarians like Norman Borlaug take his place.

Grady Bolding is a junior in theater. Please send comments to [email protected]