Summer cricket matches underway

0
15
The Indian Students Association’s cricket tournament is already underway for the 2008 summer season.

The preliminary and first rounds have been played, however, Friday starts the quarterfinals and continues with the semifinals on Saturday. The finals will be this Sunday, said Vishal Bhabia, ISA member and graduate student in computer science. All games will be played at Memorial Stadium.

The first games will start between 6:30 and 7:00 p.m. The last game will end about 10:30 p.m., said Samuel Benny Kummary, ISA president and graduate student in computer science. In case of bad weather, canceled games will be Friday, June 27-Sunday, June 29, Kummary said.

This is the second year for the summer cricket tournament, Kummary said.

He also said the tournament is open to anyone who would like to participate, but registration for this summer is already closed, but students are encouraged to come and watch. Kummary said there are other students who play in the tournament besides just ISA members.

Bhabia said that students should come and watch because it is an entertaining game and though it has some different rules, it is similar to baseball.

“Cricket also gives others a look at what [Indian students] do in their free time,” he said.

Cricket is the most popular game in India, Bhabia said. The tournament and the game itself gives everyone a chance to get together.

The tournament only occurs during the summer, but Bhabia said the ISA members try to play cricket when they can on weekends during the school year.