RCPD goes undercover to seize 1 lb. of meth

0
14

The Riley County Police Department arrested a man for allegedly selling 1 pound of methamphetamine to an undercover agent.
    The arrest was made in the parking lot of Chili’s Grill and Bar at Manhattan Town Center.
    The street value of the meth is approximately $45,000.
    “This is the largest seizure during a controlled buy [in Riley County],” said RCPD Capt. Tim Hegarty.
    Hegarty is leading an ongoing investigation into the sale and distribution of meth in Manhattan and Riley County, according to an RCPD press release.
    Hegarty could not comment on the investigation other than to say it began as an investigation into a burglary.
    Director of Counseling Services Bill Arck said meth use on K-State’s campus is not a problem, consisting of less than 1 percent of total drug use on campus.
    “It is a problem for those who use it,” Arck said. “I think it would be very difficult to be a student on meth. You only think about doing more meth.”
    Capt. Don Stubbings with the K-State Police Department agreed with Arck. The campus police have not made any arrests for the use of meth in the past year.
    “We see a very small amount of meth use on campus,” Stubbings said. “The reason why is due to the destructive nature of the drug.”
    According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, meth is a drug originally used as a nasal decongestant and bronchial inhaler. Meth increases activity, decreases appetite and increases individuals’ sense of well-being.
    According to KCI, an anti-meth Web site, 1 pound of meth is equivalent to 1,760 “hits” or doses. The average cost per hit is about $25 depending upon the purity of the meth.
    Meth is one of the more popular hard drugs because it is cheap and easy to produce.