Campbell mentors top freshman from Illinois

0
4

When the Wildcats kick off against Montana State at 6:05 p.m. on Saturday at Snyder Family Stadium, senior Ian Campbell will line up once again at his most natural position — defensive end.
    The Cimarron, Kan., native originally played on the line, but when the new 3-4 defensive scheme was implemented last year, he played most of last season’s snaps as outside linebacker.
    Campbell said he is excited to be moving back to his original position, but with the arrival of freshman defensive end Brandon Harold, he also has become a mentor for the 6-foot-6-inch tall, 264-pound prospect from East St. Louis, Ill.
    “Harold, I think, is probably one of the more talented guys we have on our team,” Campbell said. “At his age, and his aggressiveness that he already shows, I think the sky is the limit for that kid.”
    Harold showed some of that aggressiveness last week against North Texas, when he tallied three tackles in his Wildcat debut, one of which came in the backfield.
    Campbell also caused havoc in the Mean Green backfield, recording his 17th career sack.
    Harold, under the tutelage of one of the best walk-ons in Wildcat football history, said he learns as much as he can from the All-Big 12 defender.
    “It’s real good learning from him and just watching him,” Harold said. “Work on something little that he does and try to focus on that day to day.
    “As long as I’m just paying attention and talking to him, it’s not going to do anything but help me because there is a big difference from high school to college.”
    Scouts have compared Harold to former K-State defensive end Darren Howard, who is entering his ninth season in the NFL. Campbell said he sees how good Harold can be, but he knows he has to help keep him focused on the task at hand.
    “I’ve been very positive of Brandon but also very critical of Brandon because I see how much potential he has,” Campbell said. “Generally, you don’t want to tell a young kid too much too early because they might not keep the drive or motivation, but I think he’ll keep pressing himself.”
    As Harold gets ready to make his second appearance on Saturday against Montana State, Campbell said any opponent could be in big trouble if they treat Harold as a rookie.
    “I think if they take him lightly as a freshman, they’ll be sorely mistaken on that play,” Campbell said. “They probably won’t make the same mistake on the next one.”