Former player now MSU coach

0
5

By Mike DeVader
kansas state collegian

Fresh off a 59-3 romp of Adams State last week, the Montana State Bobcats will try to dethrone K-State at 6:05 p.m. on Saturday at Snyder Family Stadium.
    If Wildcat fans look close enough to the coaches on the Bobcats sideline, they will notice a familiar face. Former K-State quarterback Jonathan Beasley, who played from 1996-2000 for the Wildcats, is now the wide receivers coach for Montana State.
    The Bobcats (1-0) are coming off their largest margin of victory in a season-opening game in school history. They will look to build off a three-touchdown effort from senior wide receiver Brandon Bostick, whom coach Ron Prince said is just one of his concerns heading into Saturday’s game.
    Sophomore starting quarterback Cody Kempt played in a few games for Oregon as a redshirt freshman, and Prince said he is mentored by a proven Division I coach.
    “I coached I-AA football for a good period of time, and anytime we had a Division I transfer as quarterback, we always felt that we had a significant advantage,” Prince said. “They have somebody that is coaching him that coached in the Pac-10 and has been very successful at that level, so we know that their quarterback will play very well.”
    K-State (1-0) will try to match the offensive firepower that Montana State will bring into the first meeting between the two schools by continuing to improve at the wide receiver position. The receivers hauled in three touchdowns last week against North Texas, and sophomore receiver Lamark Brown said he hopes all the receivers continue to entertain fans.
    “I think we surprised some people. I don’t think that many people expected us to have that much of a difference in our receiving corps,” Brown said. “We have a lot of playmakers lining up out there and we try to challenge each other every day to go out and make plays on the field.”
    But Montana State has upset a Big 12 team before. Defensive end Ian Campbell said he remembers two years ago when Colorado lost to Montana State at home on the same day K-State beat Illinois State, 24-23. He said he believes there is no reason to overlook them.
    “I see a talented quarterback and a team that has pretty good athletes,” Campbell said. “There’s no reason any team should overlook anyone. On any given Saturday anyone can win, and for anyone to overlook somebody kind of defies the rules of the game.”