Lil’ Wayne falls short of “best rapper alive,” put to shame by predecessors

0
13

Editor,

Eric Davis wrote on the Sept. 11 Edge page that Lil’ Wayne is the best rapper alive because he “manipulates words and phrases like no one before his time.” To support, he quotes, “safe sex is great sex/ better wear a latex/ ‘cause you don’t want that late text …”
    In that string of lyrics, Davis claims that Wayne is the best because he can rhyme “great sex,” “latex,” and “late text.”
    If that qualifies you to be the best rapper ever, then I’m not next to ordinary, I’m extraordinary, necessary like bread or the dairy. Putting words together that sound like each other is not manipulation, it’s rhyme.
    In addition, he said that the lyrics “he so sweet make her wanna lick the wrapper” is “brilliance.”
    I applaud Lil’ Wayne for being able to use the most overused analogies in the rap industry (“Lollipop”: see G-Unit, Three Six Mafia), but I know freshmen in high school who could exceed that ability.
    This upsets me, because he quotes this lyric after saying that Wayne can “manipulate words and phrases” better than any rapper before his time. 
    Let’s be serious: Anyone who knows anything about hip-hop knows that lyricists like Tupac, Jay-Z, Biggie and Eminem put Lil’ Wayne to shame. They came before the Martian had even landed, and their lyrics meant something.
    Tupac rapped about the indiscretions of race in American society and was always looking to promote the sense of equality with smart and clever analogies:  “Take the evil out the people they’ll be acting right/ ‘cause both black and white is smokin’ crack tonight.”
    Tupac’s best songs were about the corruption of man, the state of the world, and how to make things better.
    In the end, Davis’ claim was like a chocolate-filled chocolate lollipop: hard to get through, left a bad taste in my mouth, and I certainly didn’t want to lick the wrapper afterward.

Gage Brummer
freshman in biochemistry and pre-medicine