Wildcats travel to Louisville looking for much needed road win

0
7

Payback has been on K-State’s mind for 10 days leading up to tonight’s road game against Louisville.
    When the Wildcats step foot on the field at Papa John’s Stadium, they will try to turn their thoughts into reality.
    The reason K-State is seeking revenge is simple. In 2006, the Cardinals were ranked No. 8 in the nation, strolled into Snyder Family Stadium and completely dominated the game from start to finish.
    Final score — Louisville 24, K-State 6.
    Quarterback Josh Freeman vividly remembers the game. After taking his first snaps after halftime, he hit just 3 of 10 pass attempts for only 18 yards. He was sacked twice.
    “One thing they’re sure to have is good athletes flying around to the ball with a pretty tough pass rush,” Freeman said. “Call it what you want. We are going to go out and play a good game to get a win.”
    Louisville won the first-ever matchup against the Wildcats under the leadership of senior quarterback Hunter Cantwell, who started against K-State as a sophomore because starter Brian Brohm was nursing a thumb injury.
    Cantwell wasn’t flashy but managed the game efficiently, completing 18 of 26 passes for 173 yards, a touchdown and one interception. Senior defensive end Ian Campbell is one of the few players on the Wildcat roster who played Cantwell two years ago, but he said those memories aren’t even comparable to the game tonight.
    “[Cantwell] is two years older and a lot has changed out of him,” Campbell said. “He’s not an immature quarterback. He’s been in the system for two years and he’s an upperclassman now.”
    Though the Cardinals lost their star quarterback in Brohm, their top rusher and their top five receivers from last season, head coach Ron Prince said he believes there is at least one comparable factor when studying both Louisville teams: the stellar offensive lines.
    “The more you watch them on tape, the more impressive they are to look at,” Prince said. “They’ve got two of the better offensive linemen in college football.”
    Campbell said neither he nor the team is worried about playing in front of a national audience during the mid-week showdown, but for the players on the team who are 0-1 against Louisville, there is only one acceptable outcome.
    “We need to go down there and get the win and go down there to bring a little Wildcat pride back here to Kansas,” Campbell said.