Cats to meet Huskers in Big 12 opener

0
10

The last time K-State took on Nebraska in Ahearn Field House, the Huskers narrowly escaped what would have been just their second conference loss of the season. After jumping out to a 2-0 lead, the Wildcats couldn’t finish off the eventual conference co-champions, as the Huskers prevailed, 3-2.
    Wildcat coach Suzie Fritz said that match is history.
    “I have a short memory,” said Fritz, who is just 12 victories shy of the school’s all-time record. “We’re an entirely different team. We’re trying to adjust to two new setters, and we have new personnel. I don’t have the luxury of looking back that far.”
    The No. 18 Wildcats (10-1), coming off a first-place finish at their own Varney’s Kansas State Invitational on Sept. 12-13 will face off with the No. 2 Huskers at 7 tonight in Ahearn Field House. 
    Nebraska enters tonight’s match-up with a perfect 8-0 record, including victories over No. 2 Stanford, No. 4 Southern California and No. 14 Cal Poly.
    The match will mark the 78th meeting between the teams. The Huskers have dominated the all-time series, losing only three matches. The Wildcats’ last victory came in 2003 when they swept the season series en route to their first conference championship. Nebraska has lost just six conference matches since 2000 with three of those losses coming at the hands of K-State.
    Fritz said she foresees a good match, but the Wildcats will need to be nearly flawless to win.
    “I think we’ve got an opportunity to be competitive. After scouting them, I think we’ll need to play very well,” she said. “They are a very efficient team that doesn’t make a lot of errors, so we’ll need to play the same way.”
    Fritz said the Wildcats, who have spent the entire 2008 season in the top 20, saw a variety of teams and styles among their nonconference opponents. Fritz said this has helped the team get ready for league play.
    “I thought we got to see a lot of different styles of play,” she said. “We had to adapt and adjust to a lot of different types of things. I felt like our preseason was competitive. But at the same time, Nebraska will be the best team we’ve played so far.”
    Fans interested in watching K-State’s football game at Louisville are still encouraged to attend tonight’s match. A digital recording of the game will be shown without commercials at Ahearn immediately following the match’s conclusion.