Wildcat volleyball team suffers first sweep against No. 3 Longhorns in Austin

0
6

Before the Wildcat volleyball team left to take on Texas Saturday, head coach Suzie Fritz commented on the Longhorns’ style of play, saying they are one of the conference’s most athletic squads.

“They’re one of the more physical teams in the league in terms of overall athleticism, without question,” Fritz said after Thursday’s practice.

That athleticism proved to be too much for the No. 17 Wildcats (14-3, 4-2 Big 12 Conference), as they were swept by the No. 3 Longhorns (10-2, 4-1 Big 12) Saturday night in Austin, Texas. The match marked the first time the Wildcats have been swept this season.

Texas won the match by scores of 25-20, 25-21 and 25-16. K-State was able to compete with the Longhorns for the first two games, but the squad was overpowered in the last set, as Texas ran away with the victory in the finale. The Wildcats held an early lead in every set, but several runs by the Longhorns eliminated any chance of an upset.

Three scorers tallied double-digit kills in the match, including Texas’ Destinee Hooker, who topped all competitors with 16 kills. Ashley Engle added 10 for the Longhorns. K-State’s senior outside hitter Rita Liliom contributed 15 kills.

The Wildcats will resume conference play when they play host to the Missouri Tigers on Wednesday at Ahearn Field House. Play will begin at 7 p.m.