Friends turn into family, support at the Brothel

0
22

Family has always been a constant part of my life. I am the oldest of three siblings, so I feel the need to play watchdog for my brother and sister. The sense of family is no different at the Brothel.
    The nights that turned into mornings and the friends who turned into family are a true representation of the Brothel. We fight as a family, celebrate with each other and watch out for each member just like my real sisters would.
    But even family members tend to make their own judgments about each others’ lives. I am a horribly messy person when it comes to keeping the Brothel kitchen tidy. I absolutely hate washing dishes – and most cleaning in general. My roommates could most likely tell you that I would rather pay someone to clean our house than do it myself.    
    Needless to say the cleaning issue has been a source of conflict at the Brothel. I am always voicing that I wish my mom were here to help me, so when I fail to perform my house duties, my roommates retort with, “Well, Salena’s mom didn’t show up today.”
    So when my mom visited Manhattan one weekend, we had a serious discussion about cleaning. Now, I still become frustrated with the idea of cleaning, but I am trying to improve — for my mother’s sake.
    And I’m not the only one whose family has been the biggest cheerleader in their life.
    One of my roommates has an older sister who is an alumna of our sorority. I can remember the day when her sister was introduced to her now fiancé through mutual friends.
    The first date included dinner and a movie – “Cheaper by the Dozen 2” – back at his house (Everyone at the Brothel still cracks up about the movie choice). After the date, my roommate’s sister stopped by our house and vented about her mixed feelings; she didn’t know if she liked this new guy or not.
    But being the good sister my roommate is, she encouraged her sister to give him a chance and go on another date. Now, the couple is happier than ever and planning to get married next September. I’m thankful I got to be a part of the beginning of this relationship, and now the Brothel gets to go to a wedding.
    Family is not only there for the important times but also when we need to let loose. That’s why at every Brothel dance party, the one song we always play is Sister Sledge’s “We are family.”