Protesters need to focus on real issues

0
2

Editor,

I was sad to see the “Right to Life group protests abortion at Life Chain event” article in the Oct. 27 Collegian that was all rhetoric and containing no real information. Abortion is an issue that affects millions of women every year – and standing on street corners telling people they’re “killing babies” gets the country nowhere. 

The Guttmacher Institute published a new study on abortion facts in July. They found that half of all pregnancies in the U.S. every year are unintended – and a majority of the women who do have an abortion already have at least one child. As women, we know what is best for ourselves and families. These “pro-life” groups are promoting policies that seek to take away access to a safe, legal medical procedure and turn it into the situation pre-January 1973. 

Then, abortion was by no means rare, but instead of occurring in licensed medical facilities, complications from unsafe, unregulated procedures were common. The pro-choice movement in no way wants to promote abortion – instead, we are working on comprehensive sex-ed programs that will teach contraception, which is not allowed to be taught in Kansas schools, and abstinence as an option, but not a mandate. 

According to the Guttmacher Institute, 95 percent of Americans have sex before marriage. A healthy view of sex and reproduction is critical to a healthy society. Let’s focus on the real issues here – making sure women and men have the access to health care that allows them to access procedures necessary for their well-being and family desires. 

Let’s work on making sure every child is well cared for, that every person can have as many or as few children as they desire, that everyone has access to information on contraception if they want to use it, and reducing STD rates.

Instead of standing on street corners, think of what all those people at the protest could have spent their time on instead: teaching underprivileged children to read, teaching art and music, being foster parents, mentoring local children or working with the United Way.

There’s a lot of work to be done in this world – let’s all do that instead of taking other people’s rights away.

Erin Doughty
President, Students for Choice