Wagner proves to be no contest against Wildcat defense

0
6

In it’s first game back from Christmas break, the K-State men’s basketball team beat the Wagner Seahawks 82-53 Tuesday night in Bramlage Coliseum.

The Wildcats used tremendous defensive pressure to jump out to a 12-0 lead. Wagner’s first points came on two free throws by freshman guard Tyler Murray.

K-State continued to press the Seahawks and extended its lead to 24-2. The Seahawk’s first field goal made it 24-4 with 10:21 in the first half.

“We paid attention to the scouting reports and we played along our lines,” said head coach Frank Martin. “That is a credit to the kids growing in their commitment to wanting to be a good basketball team.”

Wagner (7-4) started to hit shots as the half went on but K-State (9-3) went into the locker room with a 44-21 lead at half time.

With the game in control, K-State came out in the second half and continued to apply defensive pressure to the Seahawks, and was never able to come within 18 points of the Wildcats.

K-State forced 17 turnovers and was able to score 23 points off of those turnovers. The Wildcats also dominated the paint by out scoring the Seahawks 32-12.

“We have a small starting line up, and we had trouble inside,” said Wagner head coach Mike Deane.

Sophomore forward Dominique Sutton lead the Wildcats with a career-high 21 points and grabbed 10 rebounds, giving him his first career double-double. He is the sixth Wildcat to score more than 20 points this season.

“I guess it was just my night,” he said. “We came back from break and got back into the gym. I came out today and felt pretty good.”

Jacob Pullen and Denis Clemente each scored in double-digits with 24 and 15 points, respectively.

K-State has now won nine straight home games and improves to 7-0 in Bramlage Coliseum this year. And they will look to continue that streak as they welcome Idaho State at 1 p.m. on Saturday in Bramlage.