Drink of the Week: Alcohol may have begun with cave men

0
11

I love the little phrases that begin “Did you know?” These uncommon tidbits often provide useless information until one day the fact comes in handy.

The inventors of the new Monopoly game certainly agree with informing the world of these facts.

The new Monopoly chance cards have “Did You Know?” facts printed on them. So that’s what my column this semester is all about — “Did you know?” facts, all pertaining to alcohol.

In my drink of the week column, I will discuss new drinks around town and useful tips on how to make the perfect drink. Other items I will include are reviews of bar Web sites and new iPod applications for drinks. Also, bars and drinking establishments around town will showcase their best drinks.

But before I discuss any cocktails, I will first talk about the origin of drinking. Drinking alcohol is thought to have begun as early as 10,000 B.C.

The discovery of late Stone Age beer jugs has established that purposely fermented beverages existed at least that early.

It has been suggested that beer might have preceded bread as a meal staple. And did you know wine jars were found in China dating to about 7,000 B.C.?

It is predicted this early drink was produced by fermenting rice, honey and fruit.

And in Colonial America, beer was designated X, XX, or XXX according to its alcohol content. Alcohol has led to serious diseases, drinking and driving and a thriving business.

Did you know the alcohol industry maintains constant sales in an economic recession?

Someday these little facts might come in handy or you may just blurt them out during a night in the ‘Ville. If you have any ideas for future column topics, let me know and look for those good tidbits.

Salena Strate is a senior in print journalism and public relations. Please send comments to edge@spub.ksu.edu.