Couples should seek compatability, not race

0
14

I’ve seen her reaction when she sees the couple.
    The twitch of her neck shows just how offended she is. The roll of her eyes. Her nose in the air. She turns away in disgust.
    Yes, these attitudes still exist toward interracial couples. 
    Interracial marriage was illegal until 42 years ago when the Supreme Court ruled against a Virginia state law that banned whites from marrying nonwhites. According to the Census Bureau, black-white marriages increased from 65,000 in 1970 to 422,000 in 2005 — an increase of more than 667 percent.
    I realize this is a touchy subject for some. But if you’ve ever found yourself staring at a interracial couple, you must decide if you are really accepting of what you see.
    Let’s be honest here, your reaction will show it all. I roll my eyes at a black man dating a woman who is clearly not black. Interestingly though, I don’t react the same to a black woman dating a non-black man.
    What’s wrong with this picture? I have to ask myself if I have a problem with interracial dating. Interracial dating is not just a black and white subject – there’s a gray area that’s always overlooked. The truth is, many couples are in interracial relationships for the wrong reasons.
    The line is crossed when someone dates a person of a different race looking for qualities they believe don’t exist in people of their own race. Some people are in interracial relationships simply because they think they chose the better race.
    I hope all people in today’s world can accept who they are and who they are not.
        Today is different from yesterday — when blacks didn’t have the same opportunities as everyone else in this country. However, we have no reason to be jealous or feel inferior to any other race.
    Dating outside of our respective race is not wrong. Dating outside of our race with ulterior motives is wrong.
    You cross the line when you date outside of your race and declare that your taste in men has changed. Dating a man who is not black will not change whatever problems you have with black men. You shouldn’t choose to date a different race because you think you’ll find better men or women within it.
    I address all men and women of every race when I say you are foolish to date someone of a different race just to try something different or experiment.
    I have to apologize to those interracial couples who truly have loving relationships that I made snap judgments about.
    I’m not disturbed with interracial dating; I react to the negative issues in connection to it. We are all ignorant at times, but that doesn’t excuse those who don’t accept interracial dating.

Jasmine Wilcoxon is a freshman in pre-journalism and apparel and textiles. Please send comments to opinion@spub.ksu.edu.