53rd annual K-State Rodeo to feature roping, rodeo queen

0
13

The K-State Rodeo Club is hosting the 53rd annual K-State Collegiate Rodeo this weekend at Weber Arena.

Two evening performances are scheduled Friday and Saturday, starting at 7:30 p.m. On Sunday, there will be an afternoon performance at 1 p.m. The coronation of the 2009 Miss Rodeo K-State Queen will take place at 6:45 p.m Saturday.

Events for the men will include tie-down roping, steer wrestling, bareback riding, saddle bronc riding and bull riding. For women, there will be goat tying, barrel racing and breakaway roping. There will also be team roping for both men and women.

K-State rodeo team coach Doug Muller said there are about 24 colleges in the Central Plains region scheduled to compete.

To prepare for the rodeo, men’s team captain Luke Holland said the rodeo club has to find sponsors, set up the arena and make sure everything runs smoothly.

Holland, senior in construction science and management, will compete in tie-down roping and team roping this year.

Becky Anderson, sophomore in agricultural business, said that as the women’s team captain, she answers any questions the public has about the rodeo club or team and helps team members. Anderson will compete in all three women’s events — barrel racing, breakaway roping and goat tying.

Holland said the rodeo team has practices, but many team members practice on their own. Holland said he practices at his house but has also practiced in the arena.

Anderson said she usually practices her events about four times a week, though she keeps her barrel racing horse in shape by exercising him every day.

“I also practice tying goats on the ground and keeping my horse tuned up,” Anderson said. “For the breakaway, I practice running the calves through to keep my horse and I working good.”

Tickets for the rodeo are available at the door or at Manhattan Tractor Supply Co. Student tickets are $5, and for non-students, tickets are $8 in advance or $10 at the door.