Inspections committee discusses several issues for upcoming forum

0
9

The Rental Inspections Advisory Committee met Wednesday to discuss an upcoming public forum and possible zoning inspections.

The committee discussed two possible budget scenarios for the rental inspection program, if it is enacted as an ordinance. One budget included a zoning inspector position and the other did not. The purpose of a zoning inspector in the program created discussion among committee members.

Manhattan Housing Authority Director JoAnne Sutton said the rental inspector would inspect the unit and see if it is safe as a rental unit, not to see if it is in compliance with zoning.

“To me, the zoning issue is a separate issue,” Sutton said. “It may be an issue, but it’s another issue.”

Committee members voted 5-3 not to include the zoning inspector position in the final budget.

The committee finished its discussion by reviewing penalties for those who do not comply with rental inspection ordinance. The penalties are included on the Rental Inspection Committee Draft Ordinance Key Discussion Points that is planned to be discussed at the public forum.

The committee continued discussion on tax credit units. Chris Bailey, board president of the Manhattan Area Housing Partnership, said any tax credit unit in the community is going to be inspected at least every year by the Kansas Housing Resources Corporation.

During the Feb. 18 meeting, the committee had been reluctant to inspect units that were inspected under another program.

There was a committee consensus to keep public housing units exempt from paying fees but still have to register for inspection. The committee also decided to waive fees and inspections for qualifying tax credit units and public housing units.

The public forum is scheduled for 7 p.m. Wednesday in the City Commission Room at City Hall. The forum will be televised.

The next meeting for the committee is scheduled for 2:30 p.m. March 11 in the lecture hall at Manhattan Fire Department headquarters, located at 2000 Denison Ave.