Safe Ride to offer early rides from Aggieville on Fake Patty’s Day

0
82

Students will be able to get a free ride home from Aggieville through Safe Ride starting at 3 p.m. on Saturday, Manhattan’s third-annual Fake Patty’s Day.

Most weekends, Safe Ride does not start picking up passengers until 11 p.m. However, hundreds of drunken, green-clad, partygoers do not invade Aggieville at 9 a.m. most weekends.

Safe Ride Coordinator Jake Gouldie said three Safe Ride cabs will be taking students from the Aggieville pick-up station at the corner of 12th Street and Bluemont Avenue from 3 p.m. to 11 p.m. Safe Ride will not be picking up students from other locations until 11 p.m., when it will begin normal operations with nine cabs.

Gouldie said Safe Ride has conducted similar programs on Fake Patty’s Day in the past. He said he decided to do it again this year because it was the best way to keep as many students as possible from drinking and driving.

“It comes down to cost-benefit,” Gouldie said. “We thought 3 p.m. was the most effective time to help as many people as we can.”

Gouldie said he expects to help 600-700 passengers. On most Saturday nights, Safe Ride carries about 150 passengers.

Despite the extra traffic, most Safe Ride drivers don’t mind working on the holiday.

“I think most of our drivers enjoy it,” Gouldie said. “They seem to have a lot of fun with it.”

Students can call Safe Ride at 785 539-0480. The program is free for all K-State students with a K-State Student ID.