2nd Annual Hallows and Horcruxes Ball brings Harry Potter fans

0
13

Chants of “Mischief Managed!” filled the K-State Student Union Ballroom as wizard-rock fans sang along with the band Ministry of Magic at the second annual Hallows and Horcruxes Ball Saturday night.

The ball was a wizard-rock concert for literacy and featured seven wizard-rock bands based on the “Harry Potter” book series. The proceeds from the event went to First Book, a non-profit organization that provides disadvantaged children with new books.

While the bands base most of their music off of characters, incidents or themes from the book, each band brings its own style to its performances. The bands that performed included The Parseltongues, Gred and Forge, The Mudbloods, The Whomping Willows, The Remus Lupins and The Ministry of Magic.

The Parseltongues, a band featuring Kristina Horner, Brittany Vahlberg and Eia Waltzer, started in 2004. Waltzer joined the band a year ago and said her first big show was playing the first Hallows and Horcruxes Ball at K-State.

“K-State last year was a blast,” Waltzer said.

Katy Kubier and Michelle Brannon said they drove from Colorado to attend this year’s ball. Despite the long trip, they said they enjoyed the event.

“We enjoyed watching the bands collaborate with each other,” Kubier said.

Even though most of the songs are “Harry Potter”-based and just for fun, some incorporated a deeper meaning. Horner said at one of the shows last year, they had Rock the Vote where people registered to vote.

“I think it started as a joke, but then we realized how big it was and how important it was in all of our lives,” Horner said.

Jerrod Perkins of Gred and Forge said many of the bands like Harry and the Potters and The Whomping Willows are very politically-oriented. He said living in a liberal town has made it easy to slide certain ideals into songs.

“A lot of people go outside and promote their own stuff,” Perkins said. “I don’t really do that too much, but I kinda push my views out a little bit.”

Perkins said he donates money from his CD sales to BookAid International. For him, it’s not about making money.

“I do it because I enjoy it,” Perkins said.

The wizard-rock bands have promoted social activism and real world issues while keeping fans entertained with the world of “Harry Potter.” But with the last book coming out in 2007, the question about the future of wizard-rock still remains.

“That’s the million-dollar question,” Perkins said. “I’ll continue to do it and I’ll do it as long as it’s fun.”

Horner said the future is uncertain because bands have been afraid the fans would quit coming or fans would be afraid the bands would give up.

“We’ve already proven that we could keep wizard-rock going for a year and a half,” Horner said. “It’s not just a chance to show “Harry Potter” pride, it’s a chance to hang out with your friends. I don’t think it’s going anywhere.”