City commissioners to sponsor forum

0
12

Riley County citizens have one more opportunity to listen to city commission candidates discuss local issues before the city and school elections on April 7.

The Aggieville Business Association and Downtown Manhattan Incorporated are hosting a candidate forum at 7 p.m. tonight at the Wareham Opera House, 410 Poyntz Ave.

The candidates will answer several scripted questions pertaining to downtown Manhattan and Aggieville before taking questions from the audience, said Evan Tuttle, executive director of the ABA.

Tuttle said he hopes people take this opportunity to educate themselves on issues before the elections.

“We have a lot of media coverage about bigger elections, but with local elections, like this one, if you want information about the candidates you have to go out and seek it,” he said. “This is a way for voters to get that information about the candidates.”

The Aggieville Business Association and Downtown Manhattan Incorporation organized a similar forum last week at KatHouse Lounge in Aggieville, but Tuttle said tonight’s forum will not be a repeat of last week’s, which drew an audience of about 50 people.

“We’re hoping more people come out, even if they came to the first forum, because there will be new topics discussed,” he said.

Six of the eight candidates for the commission participated in the forum at KatHouse. Some candidates will probably be missing tonight also, since the current city commission, which includes candidates Mark Hatesohl, Tom Phillips and James Sherow, will be in a work session.

Advanced voting is open now at the Riley County Clerk’s Office, and the polls are open on election day from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.